4/19/2010

Simon Pearce Glass and Light II

Dr. David Hummel was kind enough to let my family stay at his Deep Creek Cabin for my son Eamon's 14th birthday on the April 17 weekend, so we were able to visit the Simon Pearce clear glass factory again. (Click here to learn about our first visit.)
As you can see in the videos below, once again, the Simon Pierce craftsmen (here it is Dwight and Dave) are highly skilled, deeply committed to their profession, and very knowledgeable. They are also friendly. When I took the tour with my family, Dwight and Dave invited us inside the work area and patiently explained their craft of creating clear glass products in detail.
It's a great adventure for any family. Both my mechanical/sound engineer 20-something (he has the long mane of hair in the photo) and my 14-year old violinist, martial artists and soon-to-be football hero found it worthwhile. My wife loved the glass work which we plan to collect and give as gift for years. This place is a real find. Here is where they are located and directions.
Not satisfied with the Chelsea Bowl and tea lights we purchased on our first visit, we ordered wine glasses, their book A Way of Living (create imaginative table settings, cook great food, live with simple, beautiful things) from the Simon Pearce website. I've done a good deal of website usability testing on websites over the years, and this one is superb: simple, clean, easy to use, informative, and well organized. As importantly, my order arrived within a few days after I ordered it well wrapped and intact. Their products make great gifts, especially for brides. I left one behind for Dave for letting us use his cabin.
Below are photos and videos I took when there. Please click the arrow of the video to get each step in the glass production process to display.
Enjoy!!!









No comments: